Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Castle Duncan Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK CROFTS, COTTAGES, HALLS .... AND OLD FORTS of the US

  1. Started by Duncan,

    Stands below the Rock of Cashel and was the last daughter of Mellifont, founded In 1272. The church is largely intact and is of the typical Cistercian plan with two chapels in each arm of the transept. [*]There was no provision for a central tower which was added in the fifteenth century. [*]The chapels on the north, had pointed barrel-vaults. [*]The plain pointed arches of the nave are surmounted by a clearstorey of quatrefoiled windows set above piers. [*]When the tower was built the crossing and two bays of the nave were enclosed with blocking walls, the western wall being carried up the full height of the building. [*]The western part of th…

    • 0 replies
    • 3.9k views
  2. Started by Duncan,

    The east arm of the building is thus modern, though a fragment of the S.E. angle of the fourteenth-century choir may still be seen and portions of the great St. Mary Chapel, originally seventy feet long, are incorporated in the building to the N.E. The transept is largely of late twelfth-century date and retains the original arches opening into the choir-aisles. The N. wall of the nave dates from early in the thirteenth century, with a rather later W. bay, but the lower parts of the pillars are restorations. The fittings include a lectern thought to date from 1520, and a series of monuments of which the most important are the following: (a) the mid thirteenth-century ef…

    • 0 replies
    • 1.8k views
  3. Started by Duncan,

    Formerly the Roman town of Venta Belgarum, Winchester became the capital of Wessex under Alfred the Great. It remained England's chief city until after the Norman Conquest. Many have identified the city with King Arthur's Capital of CAMELOT. He as any good commander would have utilized the fortified sites of the Roman occupation for his benefit. The city or some where in the area is where he fought his usurping nephew Mordred and after winning the battle pursued him to the River Camlann. That battle marked Arthur's last and the end of his reign. In the remaining fragment of a early fortification now known as Castle Hall hangs the Round Table, a oaken table that meas…

    • 2 replies
    • 2.3k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.